- This event has passed.
British Cycling – Ready Set Ride Course
12 October from 12:30 pm - 4:00 pm
Ready, Set, Ride is a fun and flexible learn to ride programme to help children stay active in the classroom, playground and at home. Developed by British Cycling Ready Set Ride is all about introducing pedaling to playtime, where learning together is a fun, family adventure that can be completed in three short, simple steps: Prepare 2 Ride, Balance and Pedals. With clear guides, fun games and colourful rewards, the programme provides families and schools with all they need to support children to start cycling.
Julie Harrington, chief executive at British Cycling, said:
“We can’t turn Britain into a great cycling nation without first equipping our children with the vital skills they need to ride a bike from a young age. We want families, as well as schools, to introduce pedaling to playtime and be part of a child’s journey as they learn to ride, helping them to become confident and happy cyclists for life.”
Challenges addressed through Ready Set Ride:
- Tackling inactivity and physical wellbeing
- Parental engagement/activity at home
- Confidence and competence to deliver high quality PE/Physical literacy
We have secured funding for 15 schools to access the Ready Set Ride programme free of charge. Through the programme each school will access the following:
- a local 3-hour introduction/familiarisation training session.
- a printed copy of resources to utilise in school and share with parents.
- access to the HSBC UK Ready Set Ride website and app for use in the classroom, playground and at home
- indivual child certificates and stickers
If you are interested in finding out more or getting your school/families involved in this exciting new programme the first step is to attend this local training session on Friday 12th October from 12.30-4pm. If you would like to know more please get in touch with us at email@example.com
The format for the training session is:
• 12.30pm start: Welcome and introductions to HSBC UK Ready Set Ride
• 12.45pm – 2pm: Why Learn to Ride and explore the resource pack/activities
• 2pm – 3pm: Practical activity with reception children outdoors (or indoors if weather won’t allow)
• 3.15pm – 4pm: Explore how the programme could work in your school and engage families
Aimed at: Any member of staff could attend who has an interest in the programme, although we would suggest maybe pre-school, reception or year 1 teachers/support staff. It does not have to be the PE subject leader/co-ordinator, anyone keen to support and learn more about the programme or with an interest in working with and engaging families through cycling.
Course Cost: Free to schools who have their own balance bikes or are due to purchase them this term.
Tutor: Kim Henderson