Since January we have been busy delivering Play Leaders training at Histon and Impington Junior School and Barton, Milton and Coton Primary Schools. The year 5/6 children that have taken part in the training have all been extremely enthusiastic and keen to learn and have shown some great leadership qualities. Lunchtimes at these schools are certainly set to be a lot more fun and active for the younger children from now on.
The young leaders have come up with lots of different activities to deliver during the lunchtime break, from the usual team sports and playground games to a dance class. The children have also come up with great ways to advertise their Play Leaders programme with one group from Histon and Impington planning to do a sketch in their whole school assembly. They all understand the importance of being organised, planning the sessions, knowing the games and getting their equipment sorted before the start of the session.
Play leaders training has many benefits. Recent studies have noted that the time pupils spend in the playground is approximately 20% of their school day. The Play Leaders programme helps pupils to utilise this time in a positive way. By running a Play Leaders programme schools may notice the following benefits:
- Pupils develop leadership skills such as organisation, communication, cooperation and a sense of responsibility
- The work of adults within the school is supported e.g. Midday Supervisors are supported by Play Leaders delivering activities at lunchtime
- Older children are provided with an opportunity to work with younger children, thereby promoting integration and social inclusion and citizenship
- Playground incidents are reduced in number
- Pupils return to lessons with increased concentration and this helps to raise achievement across the whole school
- Increased activity at play time encourages pupils to adopt a healthy lifestyle and helps to reduce the problems associated with obesity
If you would like more information on introducing a Play Leaders programme in your school please visit the resources page on our website where you can download further information including a 6 session overview.
If you would like us to deliver Play Leaders training to a selection of your year 5 or 6’s please get in touch with Projects Officer, Julie at email@example.com Play Leaders training is included as part of Gold and Silver subscription. Bronze schools can access the programme at an additional charge.