Change4Life Sports Clubs is an exciting programme that aims to harness the inspiration of the Olympic and Paralympic Games to engage less-active* primary and secondary aged school children in physical activity and school sport.
Change4Life Sport Clubs take the principles and specific skills from a range of Olympic and Paralympic sports and place them in a fun, vibrant and exciting activity club giving young people the confidence and competence to take part in lifelong physical activity.
Benefits of setting up a Change 4 Life Club
A lot of people believe that Change 4 Life clubs are aimed at the overweight, non-sporty children and while these children are a target group they do not need to be the main focus of running one of these clubs in your school.
So who can be in your target group?
- Vulnerable groups such as FSM, SEN, LAC, Young Carers
- Children with health/weight issues.
- Children with poor attendance, behaviour issues, low academic achievement.
- Children that have low self-esteem, low self-confidence, poor motor skills, lack of coordination.
Think about your whole school priorities and how a Change 4 Life club could help you address them. For example you might want to set up a C4L club in your school to focus on one or more of the following:
- Academic improvement – C4L clubs can help improve children’s attitude, engagement and concentration skills.
- Children’s emotional wellbeing as well as their health & fitness.
- They can be used as a vehicle to develop numeracy and literacy skills.
- Enhanced links with parents and community.
- Improved social skills, communication, team work and confidence.
- Develop responsibility, the ability to accept decisions and manage emotions.
Who can deliver the club?
- A Parent.
- A Governor.
- Anyone who has attended the C4L workshop and has the correct safe guarding documentation.
Primary clubs capture the essence of the sport without directly delivering sport-specific content, and are grouped under five multi-sport themes:
South Cambs SSP offers training workshops and resources so that schools can set up and run Change 4 Life Sports Clubs. We currently have clubs taking place in 12 local primary schools. New resources for Key Stage 1 and 2 are available here at the Change4Life School Zone.
If you would like a Change4Life Sports Club in your school please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The clubs have been designed to give children the necessary skills and confidence to be able to take part in School Games opportunities and become comfortable with competing in their school or against other schools.
*Nationally, ‘less-active’ tends to refer to children who do not undertake the recommended daily minimum of 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous intensity physical activity
For more information you can visit the Change 4 Life website http://www.nhs.uk/change4life/pages/sports-clubs.aspx